Apple Original Films announces filmed production for the Tony & Olivier Award-winning Broadway musical “Come From Away” to premiere globally on Apple TV+in September
“Come From Away” is directed by Tony Award-winner Christopher Ashley, who directed the original Broadway production, and stars an ensemble cast led by members of the Broadway show.
The original book, music and lyrics were written by Tony and Grammy Award nominees and Olivier Award winners Irene Sankoff and David Hein, who will also serve as Executive Producers alongside RadicalMedia’s Jon Kamen, Dave Sirulnick and Meredith Bennett.
“Come From Away” tells the story of 7,000 people stranded in the small town of Gander, Newfoundland after all flights into the US are grounded on 11 September, 2001. As the people of Newfoundland graciously welcome the “come from aways” into their community in the aftermath, the passengers and locals alike process what’s happened while finding love, laughter, and new hope in the unlikely and lasting bonds that they forge. The live performance of “Come From Away” was filmed at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre this past May in New York City, where the Broadway production is staged, for an audience that included 9/11 survivors and front-line workers; and, employed over 200 people including members of the Broadway crew, staff and creative teams. The cast starring in the live filmed production includes:
- Petrina Bromley (original cast member of “Come From Away,” “The Sound of Music”) as Bonnie and others.
- Jenn Colella (original cast member and Tony Award nominee for “Come From Away,” “If/Then”) as Beverley/Annette and others.
- De’lon Grant (National tour for “Jersey Boys”) as Bob and others.
- Joel Hatch (original cast member of “Come From Away,” “Billy Elliot,” “Annie”) as Claude and others.
- Tony Lepage (“Rock of Ages”) as Kevin T. and others.
- Caesar Samayoa (original cast member of “Come From Away,” “Sister Act,” “The Peewee Herman Show”) as Kevin J./Ali & others.
- Q. Smith (original cast member of “Come From Away,” “Mary Poppins,” “Les Misérables”) as Hannah and others.
- Astrid Van Wieren (original cast member and Dora award nominee for “Come From Away”) as Beulah and others.
- Emily Walton (“Peter and the Starcatcher,” “August: Osage County”) as Janice & others.
- Jim Walton (“Sunset Boulevard,” “The Music Man”) as Nick/Doug and others.
- Sharon Wheatley (original cast member of “Come From Away,” “Avenue Q,” “Les Misérables,” “Cats” and “The Phantom of the Opera”) as Diane and others.
- Paul Whitty (“Once,” “Gettin’ the Band Back Together,” “Amélie,” “The Full Monty”) as Oz and others.
“Come From Away” premieres globally on Apple TV+ on Friday, 10 September