Last night Australia’s Got Talent hosted its third semi final and there were a few surprising choices
JENNIFER ANDERSON – Singer
Melbourne’s Jennifer Anderson is here to prove that there is more to her than being a stay-at-home mum.
“As early as I can remember, I’ve known I was meant to sing,” the 50-year-old says. “The dream was to work towards an international recording career but we chose to get pregnant and I haven’t sung for the last 15 years because I wanted to commit myself to being the best mum that I could possibly be.”
Auditioning for Australia’s Got Talent was the scariest thing Jennifer’s ever done because “there was so much riding on that moment” but she admits now is the time for her to go after what she’s wanted for a long time.
Tonight, she earned a standing ovation and Hans’ Golden Buzzer with her rock/opera mash up of ‘I Dreamed A Dream’ from Les Misérables and ‘Dream On’ by Aerosmith.
- Nicole Scherzinger: “You my love are the regal rock diva of Australia.”
- Lucy Durack: “You are a powerhouse superstar, congratulations.”
- Shane Jacobson: “Jen, I know you chose your boys and I think that’s a great choice but we chose you to come to the Semi’s and I’m so glad we did, you’re amazing.”
- Manu Feildel: “They say you haven’t really made it until you have groupies, well I’m your first groupie.”
- Hans: “You’ve put your whole life on hold to be a mother. I think there’s only one way that somebody in their fifties can start a career as a singer in this country and that is through a show like this.”
LIOZ SHEM TOV – Comedic Magician
Israel’s Lioz is, in his words, much more than a phenomenal magician.
“I’m the only real magician in the world,” he says. “At the auditions I was very disappointed by the judges because they were laughing. What I do is not comedy, what I do is real powers.”
Tonight, with little more than a box of tissues, Lioz kept the judges and audience guessing as to whether he’s for real or not – but one thing’s certain, he sure knows how to make ‘em laugh!
- Nicole: “You’re just so WATCHable and I could just WATCH you do anything and I hope I get to WATCH you again.”
- Lucy: “I think it’s a bit unfair how much you make people laugh considering I’m pregnant and have very little bladder control.”
- Shane: “Honestly I think you’re hilarious.”
- Hans: “I have not seen tissues fly through the air like that since I was a teenager in Berlin.”
Also performing tonight but being unsuccessful at scoring a grand final spot were
HUMMINGSONG COMMUNITY CHOIRS – Choir
- Nicole: “I couldn’t feel more energised and empowered by looking at you women right now; to be united, to stand together for such a beautiful purpose and beautiful message to make a difference, it’s just so powerful.”
- Lucy: “You guys are the best choir I’ve ever witnessed.”
- Hans: “You can even make a German emotional and that is a skill right there.”
VOSPERTRON – Light Dancers
- Manu: “I felt like I was watching a 3D movie for the first time, it’s just incredible.”
- Nicole: “Peter you’re a musical CGI lighting genius, its unlike anything any of us have ever seen, my mind nuts are blown guys, seriously. I would love to collaborate with you one day on one of my tours, that would be such an honour.”
- Hans: “You know my mother makes my costumes. I think after seeing tonight I am signing her up for Certificate III in B class electrical at TAFE. I just think it’s so wonderful, so slick.”
JJ PANTANO – Comedian
- Shane: “The thing that everyone has to remember is JJ is seven years old, but I’m going to quote Paul Kelly ‘From Little Things Big Things Grow’. Mate, you’ve got a career ahead of you, well done.”
- Manu: “If my son spoke the way you spoke to me tonight, he’d be in trouble but you can speak to me like this anytime because I find you very funny, thank you buddy.”
- Hans: “You are so sassy, so cheeky, you actually remind me a lot of myself at your age so JJ this (framing his own face) could be a window to the future.”
- GAYNOR TENSION AKA BARBARA STREISAND – Celebrity Impersonator
- Nicole: “You looked and sounded simply divine darl. You turned the Got Talent stage into Broadway.”
- Hans: “This is going to come as a huge shock but I loved it. I mean, I feel like we’re kindred spirts here. I’m in the present of greatness.”