Get Ready For Freddy This Halloween
In an Australian television first, Foxtel Movies will present a truly terrifying A Nightmare on Elm Street pop-up channel, available to Foxtel Movies and Foxtel Platinum subscribers on Saturday, October 29 from 6.00am AEST through to Monday, October 31. The movies are also available on demand from October.
The hair-raising movie marathon will feature all nine films in the smash-hit horror franchise, running back-to-back and in order, launching with the original A Nightmare on Elm Street film right through to the most recent movie in the series, the contemporary reimagining of A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), directed by Michael Bay.
The pop-up channel follows on from Foxtel Movies’ enormously successful Star Wars marathon on September 30 – October 3, which topped the ratings on Foxtel over the October long weekend and achieved the highest ratings ever for Foxtel Movies.
A Nightmare on Elm Street, written and directed by Wes Craven and starring Robert Englund as Freddy Krueger, is one of the most iconic horror movies ever made, spawning a franchise of sequels.
Set in the fictional town of Springwood, Ohio, the plot revolves around a group of teenagers who are stalked and killed in their dreams – and in reality – by Freddy Krueger. Although the teenagers are unaware of the cause of this strange phenomenon, their parents hold a dark secret from long ago.
More information on the nine movies in the A Nightmare on Elm Street pop-up channel is as follows:
· A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) – Can your nightmares be fatal? In this classic of the horror film genre that launched a movie franchise, a hideously scarred, evil man who was murdered by a lynch mob returns years later in the terrifying nightmares of his killers’ teenaged children. And the dreaming teenagers are starting to die in their sleep.
· A Nightmare on Elm Street, Part 2: Freddy’s Revenge (1985) – Freddy’s back…and he wants revenge. When teenager Jesse Walsh moves to Elm Street, Freddy Krueger starts appearing in his nightmares. This time Freddy takes possession of Jesse’s body whenever the teenager falls asleep, using Jesse to kill. And there’s nothing Jesse can do to stop him.
· A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) – Freddy Krueger invades the minds of a new group of teens – and the nightmares begin again. When local teenagers start dying, only Nancy Thompson knows the truth. Now a doctor at the local psychiatric hospital, she is the lone survivor of one of Freddy’s previous killing sprees. It’s a fight against her co-workers’ disbelief and a race against time to stop Freddy before he kills again.
· A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988) – Can your nightmares be fatal? Freddy Krueger resurrects – hideously scarred – and returns to haunt the dreams of the teenaged children of the people who lynched him. It’s just a nightmare…but a nightmare that can kill in this tale of terror.
· A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989) – Did you ever see a dream stalking? The kids on Elm Street have. For five years, a walking nightmare named Freddy Krueger has haunted their sleep – seeking revenge for the horribly disfiguring death he suffered at the hands of the children’s parents. Now, through the dreams of an unborn child, Freddy has resurrected himself…and he’s looking for new victims.
· Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991) – They saved the best for last. In this sixth return to the horrifying world of A Nightmare on Elm Street, the town of Springwood decides to forever end Freddy Krueger’s deadly hold on their dreams. Freddy finally confronts the one person he has never been able to defeat, a psychologist who now learns the source of her lifelong nightmares, Freddy’s daughter.
· Wes Craven’s New Nightmare (1994) – This time staying awake won’t save you. Ten years after writer and director Wes Craven brought his personal nightmares to the movie screen as Freddy Krueger in A Nightmare on Elm Street, the horrifying child killer returns, stepping out of his celluloid world to haunt the life of the actress who first defeated on film.
· Freddy Vs Jason (2003) – Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees (of the Friday the 13th movies) meet face-to-face, in the ultimate horror movie standoff.
· A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) – Freddy Krueger returns to everyone’s nightmares in this contemporary re-imagining of the horror classic, from Michael Bay (Transformer movies) and horror script maestro Wesley Strick (Cape Fear). Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen) plays the razor-fingered iconic killer who haunts the dream of teenagers and kills them in their sleep. Kyle Gallner (Smallville), Katie Cassidy (Supernatural), Thomas Dekker (Terminator), Kellan Lutz (Twilight) and more try to ward off the nocturnal attacks. But once they fall asleep, there is no escape. Delving deeper and darker in to the tortured past of Freddy, this new incarnation revisits Elm Street and one of the greatest horror franchises in history.
The A Nightmare on Elm Street pop-up channel will be available in HD* to Foxtel Movies and Foxtel Platinum subscribers on channel 400. Channel 400 is now home to a series of hugely popular and exclusive pop-up movie events.
The horror franchise will also be available to subscribers when and where they want, both live – and on demand with an internet connected iQ box^.